Robert M. Goldstein
Based in Boston, Mr. Goldstein represents clients in federal and state courts across the country. Repeatedly selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers, and asked by colleagues to serve on expert panels, Mr. Goldstein is routinely asked to join defense teams by some of the most renowned attorneys in the country. Why? Because they all know first-hand the skill set and dedication Mr. Goldstein brings to the defense of criminal investigations and prosecutions. Below are a few of the success stories from Mr. Goldstein’s practice:
- Dismissal of federal charges against foreign national accused of improperly accessing a company’s computer network.
- A mistrial and dismissal of charges for an executive charged with federal wire fraud and securities fraud.
- The acquittal of a prominent businesswoman charged with federal fraud and conspiracy offenses.
- Suppression of evidence seized pursuant to federal search warrant and dismissal of charges for multi-national executive charged in sweeping federal RICO prosecution.
- Probation sentence for second executive charged in sweeping federal RICO prosecution after multi-week federal trial.
- Acquittal of prominent business owner charged in a complex federal tax prosecution.
- Acquittal of real estate professional charged in federal RICO and wire fraud prosecution involving more than 100 counts.
- New trial granted after 12 day trial for executive charged in complex federal mail and wire fraud prosecution involving investment of §1031 (deferred property exchange) funds in the options market.
- After lengthy bench trial, demonstrated client’s actual innocence of a 1970's state court offense that served as a sentencing predicate in subsequent federal prosecution (Mr. Goldstein did not represent client in original federal case). In a decision spanning more than 100 pages, the Court found defendant had satisfied his burden of proving his actual innocence of the 1970's state court offense. Client released from prison and spared approximately an additional ten years of incarceration.
- A ground-breaking legal decision invalidating the government’s seizure of emails without a warrant. United States v. Warshak.
Mr. Goldstein has served as an adjunct professor in the area of trial practice, and his trial expertise has been recognized by presiding Federal judges, co-counsel and even opposing counsel. After Mr. Goldstein’s first federal trial, just five years removed from law school, in a highly-publicized trial lasting several weeks (and eventually featured in magazines, a book and documentaries), the presiding judge on his own recommended Mr. Goldstein for inclusion on a court panel, writing that he "was astonished to learn he had graduated from law school only in 1995," and the judge "would have attributed another fifteen years experience to his resume." From that point forward, Mr. Goldstein has gone on to represent individuals and companies across the country in high-stakes litigation, in a career now spanning 20 plus years. In the process, Mr. Goldstein has developed a skill set that makes a real difference for his clients when it matters most.
There are no guarantees of success—the simple fact is that each case presents its own unique challenges. The one constant we provide is our dedication, knowledge, experience and skill. We firmly believe we provide our clients with the absolute best opportunity for success, and invite you to contact us to learn more.